Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Verdict: Work Conferences

I just received the agenda for our conference tomorrow and Friday. I must say that I really love the idea of a conference. Coming together as one big group, learning what we all get up to and focusing our efforts on what we are here to achieve. We get to build relationships, be surprised and delighted and most importantly, be inspired. Inspired to deliver our best work, to enjoy working in our roles and understand how this fits into the broader strategy and reason for being.

After reading the agenda, I must say I'm a little disappointed. It appears that this conference won't be better than the one we had two years ago, probably even worse. There will be cameras on the middle of the table (I've just literally been told) so we can take photos of all the fun we're having and they can add it to newsletters to show everyone how well we all get on. The budget has been completely taken away so there will be no inspiring talks this time or fancy dinners. We are probably going to sit in a big circle and play childish games and call it bonding or 'ice breakers'.

Alas, it really will be a great big waste of time I think. Besides the boozy (but cheap) dinners and the casual carry on (which of course is always good), I suspect the content won't be great.

All my conference experiences have been average at best and a nightmare at worst. I have hope that one day I will get the conference of my dreams, but that hope is seeping away as the years flow by...

Am I the only one who feels this way about work conferences???

No comments:

Post a Comment