Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Holidays are important. I just did realise how important.

It's amazing how time can fly by and all of a sudden you can be 6 years into your career without a break of more than 5 days. My last holiday was to Noosa about 2 years ago for 5 days. The plans were great. Three nights in a standard room at a pleasant place and then one special night in a ritzy room at the Sheraton so we can drink cocktails in the pool.

We flew up on Tiger airways (mistake) and arrived to wet weather. The wet weather stayed four of the five days which was not perfect. My friend got food poisoning on the first night and was sick for the rest of the holiday and then had personal issues to deal with on the last day. Needless to say it was particularly unpleasant. The whole thing flew past and I was exhausted. At that time I decided holidays were too hard so I just preferred to be in the rhythm of work.

Lately I've been depressed, stressed out and all together falling apart. These are not common for me, I really didn't know much about depression until now and the reason it confused me was because I couldn't even work out why I was feeling this way at all. I've taken some natural remedies to help with the situation but last week a friend invited me on a holiday to Cairns for a week in September. A winter escape to sit back and soak up the rays. Basically it will be a week of beach, pool, food, day spas, art galleries, relaxation.



Even making the plans to go away has dramatically affected the way I see the world. All of a sudden the whole thing seems worthwhile. Waking up everyday and going to work is just that little bit more bearable. I can only imagine what the feeling of actually being there will be like.

It has highlighted to me though how important it is to recognise when you are burning out and just stopping for a bit to relax. I'm terrible at this and I think just having a plan for your next holiday is something that dramatically will alter your thoughts about how you address everyday life. Especially if the holiday is one where you are just relaxing and not trying explore new countries and cities (cause then it actually becomes stressful again)...

Just an observation...

No comments:

Post a Comment