Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Recruitment is a bitch!

Ever wondered what you would be doing if you weren't doing what you currently do? Neither do I, but if I did, I think it would be an interesting thought. I've always wanted to be inspirational. I want to have copious amounts of wisdom and when I speak I don't want to just entertain people but I've always wanted to move people. One of the biggest gifts anyone can give me is surprisingly not anything of monetary value (although I am partial to shiny things). No, the biggest gift someone can give to me is to tell me that when I spoke to them at a certain point in their life, it gave meaning to something they used to take for granted; or that I provided a perspective they hadn't considered and it was helpful; or that it made them think twice before doing something they would have regretted.

More than wanting to be inspiring, is my want to be inspired. I want to have people to look up to who are amazing. Passionate and fun, but effective and impactful. I love to learn off others and when I find these people, I carefully work out how to stick myself to them until I've successfully learnt everything I can from them. I actually think that the only people that interest me are people who are passionate. Passion is not something you teach or learn, but it's something within us which compels us to do something or say something. What is a surprise, is where you often find passion. Some great examples for me are:
- At the aquarium in Perth. There was the most amazing girl who was explaining to me how the baby turtles found themselves in one of their ponds. She was absolutely entrenched in what she loves, marine life.



- At an LPG (gas) terminal in the outskirts of Adelaide. When you find someone getting excited about bottled gas and delivering it to customers, you've truly found someone special.



- My Dad. He has always been so passionate about learning just stuff. He is particularly fond of electronics but his burning desire to learn stuff he didn't realise he didn't know is always inspiring for me... He also loves sharing what he learnt, which I also love. We all need to be good story tellers I reckon.
- People who like football. I never understood this, but people travel very long distances to stand in grand stands and cheer on people who kick balls up and down a field. Often people love this more than anything else, especially when done with family and friends.



- The man at the train platform who tells jokes through the PA just to brighten everyones day. I mean talk about making the best out of a bad situation right?

What the hell has this got to do with recruitment? not sure...

BUT! I have been looking for what I want to do next in my career. I've been stuffed around for over a month by recruiters and companies who all want to sell me their passion and inspiration, but what I've come to realise is that they actually don't have a terrible lot in stock. Tomorrow I have an interview with a company who apparently live and breath this stuff. Their story? Selling experiences with family and friends as part of rewards at work, instead of a Myer gift voucher. If I'm ever going to start on this journey of making an impact and being inspired AND inspirational, I reckon I may have found a good starting point.

I hope that very shortly I can tell the recruiters to stick their jobs and find myself in what I would be doing if I wasn't caught here in this Corporate Australian mess.

PS. thank god no one reads this and I don't have to report back if I don't get it...

2 comments:

  1. Danny B. I feel weird saying this but I want you to know that you have already had a very positive and inspiring impact on my life. Right from the days at our first workplace together (how funny that there has been more than one!) and even though you were a youngin, you believed in me. You told me I was great at what I did, when I secretly doubted myself. You have given me a lot of confidence in the workplace - and in life, and a lot of that is because you lead by example. I've never met some one who so boldly masters the art of "fake it till you make it" as you - and you're so fabulous at it, that I don't even think you're faking it. You are unstoppable, and I will never forget your encouragement. It's been inspirational. Thanks.
    Luv, Ally xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ally! I think I may have just read this for the first time, and you are so lovely. Thanks so much for your kind words. Secretely I'm always a little bit jealous when I think of you living your dream in NYC. Then I remember that I'm living mine as well... I live in hope we can be in the same city again one day so we can go exploring funny/slighty off bars down laneways.

    love you!
    Dan.

    ReplyDelete