Monday, August 30, 2010

We should be taught not to wait for inspiration to start a thing. Action always generates inspiration. Inspiration seldom generates action.

This is a quote from Frank Tibolt that I read on a blog recently and it reminded me of what I was pondering over the weekend.

My brother bought a block of land last weekend. He's building a house. He has always been the type to leap into action and never waits to do proper due diligence or analyses of any decisions, big or small. As a result he has a small family, a home (which he will now sell to build a new one), a car, and happy little life of achievements. He wins some and he loses some, but he always learns a great deal.

I am quite the opposite. I see him buying a house and get inspired for about 15 minutes. I look on realestate.com for a place of my own and work out how much I can borrow. I analyse how this would impact my budget and work out what I would need to sacrifice. I try and find a mortgage broker and about then it gets too hard. I then put it all away and go get some food to eat and watch TV. It never turns into action for me. Ever. As a result it has taken me about 6 years of inspiration waves in order to make a plan to go overseas to travel. And I STILL haven't booked it yet. My brother did that at 21. Just did it. Borrowed the money and went. Paid it off when he got back and moved on to the next thing.

Sometimes it takes me so long to take action that I often wonder if I'll ever do anything!! I'm being dramatic of course but you get the point.

I figure we're all on the spectrum of consideration to action. Some of us consider things for much longer, others will just do it. My attempts are often made to stop getting into a situation where I feel I made an error. I am avoiding failing at all costs. Problem is I think failing is really important. It's when we learn the most and have the best stories to tell.

How action orientated are you? do you just leap right in? I'm thinking about leaping a bit more in the future, but I'm going to ponder it a bit more first.

No comments:

Post a Comment