Thursday, August 12, 2010

How do you feel?

Someone once said to me that people will remember how you made them feel long after they remember what you said. I really like that and often remind myself of this as in my line of work I don't often get to give a really nice message but I can at least try and make the unsavoury message less terrible just by approaching it in a way that is less confrontational and more supportive.

On the way to work this morning I was thinking about this while listening to music and realised for me music has the same quality. I remember how music makes me feel long after I remember what any of the songs were about. Some songs make me happy and wanna dance, others make me sad and want to reflect, some even take me to a place or time where I have a fond memory; not because I heard the song there, but just because it leads my unconscious mind there.

This morning I was listening to 'The Waifs'. I love listening to The Waifs. I always start with 'Crazy Train' which always makes me smile and then as album goes on it makes me think about old Queenslander homes in summer and having a beer on the deck. It takes me back to my childhood and places I went outside of Brisbane and mostly inland. There is just something about them that take me away for a while. And even better, I know that's what it does for me purposely choose that music whenever I want that experience. I'm not sure what it is about 'London Still' that makes me feel like I'm in Queensland still, but I do enjoy it. I feel then that I identify with this imagery and get a sense of who I am (or who I want to believe I am). Of course, often this is disrupted by the pushing of the crowds as I get off the train and tripping over on the stairs, face planting the concrete and then limping to the lift at work, but for that moment, that's where it takes me.

Where do The Waifs take you?

1 comment:

  1. Wow - that is so true. Especially about music. It often ruins a song for me if I listen carefully to the lyrics, because to me the melody is a more powerful story teller. BTW, I adore your music tastes.

    ReplyDelete