Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Picking your battles




I've found in my experience, knowing when to fight a battle and when to leave it is a really difficult but important skill to learn. I also think we can only learn this through trial and error. I've been part of discussions where someones career within a company has literally been written off in a single conversation. This may be a scary prospect for some people, but I find it incredibly humbling. I believe it is important to never consider your role as an entitlement.

I have always thought that I will be in employment with a company for as long as two conditions are met:
1. I'm still interested in my role and actually want to be there.
2. The company I work for still feel I am creating value and worth the money I'm paid.

I read a quote today which really inspired my thinking on this.
The squeaking wheel doesn't always get the grease. Sometimes it gets replaced.
- Vic Gold


I couldn't agree more. When working out whether or not a battle is worth fighting, I run it through a quick filter. Specifically:
1. Is the battle based on a values or moral issue which is important to me?
2. Will the battle significantly change the perception of me professionally and then how?
3. Am I willing to live with the consequences of this if it weren't to go well or the way that I expect?
4. When I look back at this in 5 years time, will I be happy with the way that I acted or spoke in this instance?

This is my filter and I think it has worked well for me in the past. Have you got a filter and has the track record been good?

I guess I also use a similar filter for battles in a social context. Just change the above as appropriate. I do find I take more risks when it relates to a social context. I wonder if that means I value my professional reputation more than how my friends perceive me, or whether I'm just more comfortable with confrontation and being honest with how I feel with my friends. Something for me to ponder more on I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment