Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Rebuilding trust

This election has been particularly interesting for me. I've had very strong views on a number of issues and I've gone back and forth in my head over whether or not my vote will go to the Greens or Labor. Being priviledged to have experienced the media industry both through family and personal exposure I have a great deal of cynisism towards their views and the rubbish they often go on with, without any real regard for fact or truth.

This year I think the ABC have been amazing job with their coverage of the election and particularly their program Q&A which has been a regular at my place for the last 4 weeks.

Last night Julia Gillard faced the questions herself after receiving an invite from the ABC. The questions raised were gruelling and Julia was not shown them beforehand. I believe Julia often tackles questions better when she has more time to prepare her answer (and thats absolutely ok, we are all different and perform better in different circumstances depending on our personal preferences) but thought she did an amazing job at answering them on the spot.



I witnessed a PM that was compassionate and intelligent on National and World issues and I finally feel comfortable with the possible outcome of Labor being re-elected. She really is an amazing woman and not for a moment was she concerned with what any person threw her way even if the questions seemed like attacks at times. I found myself glued to the TV for the entire program and even ended up clapping with the audience. I feel like quite the nerd.

I still love Julia, I think she's great. I still can't stand Tony, he's annoying. I will be voting Greens, they like the gays and I know the vote for them will count towards Labor in the long run but if enough people vote this way it will give the Labor government something to think about re:equality for all.

My friend posted a great Tweet today "Mark Lathom is like the sideshow Bob of politics". Agreed.

Oh and Family First can go to hell. I had no idea people could possibly still have views as out of touch as this.

No comments:

Post a Comment