Sunday, February 27, 2011

"Because the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world, are the ones who do."

I read a column in a paper today about the 'Pirates vs. Navy' concept. The concept was about how you roughly fit into one of the two camps. You either follow the laws, appreciate status-quo, and do what society tells us to do, whilst maintaining order. You live for obedience, organisation and control (Navy) OR... you are adventurous, have no regard for the way things 'ought' to be, do what you think is right rather than what you are told is right. You take risks. You do things first and then ask for forgiveness later (Pirate).

The article stated that as we get older, we often become far more Navy. Even more interesting, as we get older we actually appreciate Navy far more than we do Pirates. It also suggested that Pirates have more fun. When I think about the most fun I've ever had, it's probably when I've had my pirate hat on. Overall I think I would like to be considered a Pirate, but I'm probably a Navy. Perhaps a Pirate in a corporate, Navy world.

The attached video is an advertisement from Apple in 1997 which I think reflects the Pirate concept well. It's also inspiring. Once upon a time, a niche, mostly broke and destined for failure tech firm appreciated the pirate concept. Now they are close to being the most influential and valuable company in the world.

What can you change? Who can you impact? What can you make better? When can you dust off your Pirate outfit and take a risk again in the hope that it will pay off?

No comments:

Post a Comment