Monday, February 28, 2011

6 things about extraordinary people.

When I think about people that inspire others, I find they often have a range of common attributes. I've reflected on these and I think the key things I've noticed are:

1. They know their story - They know where they have come from and what their story is. They usually reflect upon this and allow the learnings in their own life contribute to the value they add to others lives.

2. They know what they stand for - Not only do they have a clear view on the key issues they stand for, but they can also be humble enough to acknowledge when they don't have a view or when their view is wrong.

3. They're passionate - Passion is an amazing thing. When it's there people recognise it and respond to it. It motivates and engages us (and others) to push through, even in the tough times (think Mother Theresa)

4. They are usually 'others focused' - Few people inspire others by being self focused. Naturally, others are inspired by work which makes the world a better place.

5. They have a sense of comfort in themselves - We are all insecure about things in our life, sometimes about a lot of things. People who inspire others and who I think are extraordinary find comfort in accepting themselves and demonstrating self compassion.

6. They have time for other people - The most interesting thing I've learned about the most extraordinary people in my life is that they always have time for me (and others). People who are too busy being important to spend time with people, very rarely are important or extraordinary. Extraordinary people see the value in spending time with others and do it regularly.


This is not an exhaustive list, you probably notice things about extraordinary people as well, but these are usually the things I notice.

No comments:

Post a Comment