Sunday, October 31, 2010

Thinking about things on a Sunday afternoon...

I had a friend come over this afternoon and we were sitting on the balcony in the sun when he said 'you know what? this has been my biggest year yet, and it hasn't even finished'. I felt like it was a big year too. Probably my largest ever. But it was a familiar feeling.

Since I was 18 I feel like each year brings greater challenges, larger goals and fighting more difficult fears as we negotiate our vulnerabilities and weaknesses and try to get by. It made me wonder how I would feel if I was to look back on the year and thought 'not my best year, a little boring actually'... and I'm sure one year I will.

In the meantime, this year was my second interstate move, the first time I lived in Sydney, a whole bunch of family time, my first role outside of generalist HR and then a very swift move back, my first year as a proud uncle and all things going well, will be the first year I have participated in an ocean swim, or any major sporting event for that matter.

Next year I have plans to travel around the world for three months and I will start saving to buy a property. The year after I already have preliminary plans for further travel through south-east Asia and hopefully ready to make the move on that property. So for the time being, I'm not worried about having a small year, but one day it will come, and when it does, I think I'll be ready for the break.

This post wouldn't be complete without this wonderful clip of Missy.

October 2010. Over.

1 comment:

  1. Go Dan! Your energy is contagious as always. I hope yr trip includes a stop in NY!

    ReplyDelete